Sunday, January 13, 2013

{Responsibility}

My One Word. Last year I chose {love}and God truly worked in my heart in ways I could not have imagined when I chose that word. I was thinking since no way had I mastered or even come close to learning all there is to know about love that I should keep it for another year. However, toward the end of 2012, I felt God pulling me in another direction. Responsibility. We live in a world that thinks fast food made us fat, the bank lending us too much money made us broke, and our childhood is to blame for our depression/anxiety/emotional instability/mental illness or whatever you choose to term it. Recently, even just looking at my own successes and failures in this life I realized how quickly we are to take credit for the good..."I worked my butt off and lost 50 lbs." Or "I studied hard and aced that test." Even in our spiritual journey, we are quick to self promote our studies. Flip the tables and let's see how those same statements pan out. "I have been under so much stress, I think my hormones are messed up and just looking at food makes me gain weight." Or "The test questions were worded weird and that smart guy in the back ruined the curve." Or even in our spiritual walk, "I've just been so busy and tired and haven't had time to really get in the Word."

In this world where we wish to label bad behavior with a disease to remove the personal responsibility, where we feel we cannot just say, "I'm sorry, I messed that one up. How can I fix it?", where saving face is more important than owning up! I want to teach my kids, by example, that personal responsibility is truly a beautiful thing! When you take responsibility, you can alter your mood, your outlook, your attitude, even your course in life!

I have been working on this post for weeks now. I'm so glad I chose this word. I have seen so many areas that I need to apply this to and am looking forward to big changes in 2013!

No comments: